Thursday 13 June 2013

THE MINDSET OF THE SELF-CONFIDENT (Part Two)


How to Build Self-Confidence

The first time I discussed this was in my 100 level in Michael Okpara University of Agriculture Umudike in Abia State – my Alma mater. I was delivering a talk to 400 level students when their lecturer silently sneaked into the lecture room and decided to listen. I didn’t know when he came in but I noticed the class was a little more distracted; and some students were looking at me and giggling. I spoke on for another 10 minutes and with each minute, my presentation became more intriguing and before long the room was silent. I had everyone listening and I didn’t mind the number of eyes staring up at me.

When I eventually finished with what I used to call “Turbo Talks” then, I told them that I am able to stand before them to teach about building self-confidence because I had a particular awareness which most people desire but don’t have, I knew it was right to share my knowledge and I earnestly wanted them to live above the limitations of their self-esteems. The ovation that I received was marvelous  but what got me feeling fulfilled was what the lecturer said when he met at the exit. He asked me to wait a while that he would like to add something to what I was saying. He told his students that he was told I was a 100 level student of the institution. He noted that he heard a little of what I was saying and wished his students could put them to practice. That he was yet to see any student with the kind of confidence I just displayed teaching people that were way beyond me even as a fresher.

Over the years, I have written and spoken about what I discussed with those 400 level students and almost always, I receive calls from participants sharing their testimony about a sudden surge in their confidence. So I can assure you that, if you have a low self-esteem but truly desire to be bolder or more confident, and you do what I will be asking you to do here, you will experience a change in the way you evaluate yourself. You will discover you could do most of what you were shy of doing.

Now you may wonder why you actually need to build on your confidence. The truth is: you can hardly reach your dream without self-confidence. Before you can embark on any great venture, you have to believe in that venture, in your ability to pull it through and in God’s ability to create the opportunity for you to excel in it. Recently, I helped 4 families secure grants of between 7 million and 10 million Naira from the Nigerian government. We worked on their business plans together. My secret was simple. I communicated the confidence my clients had in their proposed businesses and their ability to execute those businesses and viola! today they are millionaires. My friend Ronald Nzimora (Nigeria’s finest Information Marketer does the same thing). His sales letters always assure buyers that he is confident the content or product he is selling will make them a better person.

Similarly, if you have read the biography of any great person you will discover that success in life has strong ties with self-confidence, self-awareness or what many describe as one’s belief in themselves. This is why you should take this article seriously. This is why you need to invest your time practicing what I will be sharing with you here. Just so you are forewarned. People have a way of ignoring what they are being taught free of charge. You probably stumbled upon this article and I can understand if you try to ignore it. You won’t find its content with a price tag attached anywhere online, you are advised to take it as one of those free gifts that can change your life for good. I want to remind you that the most valuable things in life are free including the grace of God, happiness, companionship, air, and love, etc.

You can develop a very sound self-confidence by adopting some attitudes and behaviours; but you will have to be consistent in it until you can act them out unconsciously. I will list the tips here and continue with more details soon.

  • The influence of being honest, truthful, fair and upholding justice
  • The willingness to share what you have with whoever needs it
  • The power of knowing what you want
  • The power of recognizing what you are good at and developing the skills to excel in it
  • The confession or affirmation of who you can be
  • The ability to understand your field and the players in it
  • The wisdom to value human relationship
  • The tenacity to venture through the road less traveled even when it seems risky


Do you want to know what those tips have to do with making you more self-confident? Hang on. We shall continue this later, so you use your time to do what you came online to do. In the meantime, share your expectations and thoughts in the comment section and I will reach you once I publish the full content.


I toast to a better YOU!

2 comments:

  1. Good post, man. Self-confidence is a necessary character every person needs in order to move farther in life and it is always helpful to find any way to acquire this trait, because not everyone is self-confident naturally. I mean, I'm genetically disposed to being calm and timid lol but organizations like the Rotaract club helped me build self-confidence. Great post, again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly, joining social groups and participating like you did helps build self-confidence a lot. Its a gradual process but before you know it, you are bold and comfortable around people. But more is needed to keep a productive self-confidence. One that truly dares you to attempt the presumably impossible....i will be sharing these tips soon

    ReplyDelete

Hello, Its Larry Moore, please don't leave without sharing your thoughts